Well, 24 weeks has finally arrived, and that means two things – 1) Russ has reached the date known as “viability” (when the baby could hypothetically survive outside the womb with neonatal intensive care) and 2) I’m huge. Yeah, yeah, I know what all you mommy veterans are saying out there: “You ain’t seen nothin’ yet, sweet pea.” Well, I understand that, but I still feel huge. Not as huge as I expected to feel, since I expected to feel enormous ALL OVER by now, but my tummy is getting pretty tough to handle. These days, things in the neighborhood of my navel feel stretched, tight, and scrunched – my ribs seem to be closing in on me more every day.
I can’t handle as much food these days, a fact that I’m learning the hard way – like today, when my lunch out with my friends bit back in a big way. Two hours after demolishing a grilled shrimp BLT at MaryBeth’s at McBee in downtown Greenville, I was on the phone with my doctor’s office, bleary-eyed, frazzled, on the verge of tears, and barely able to catch my breath due to the pain under the right side of my ribs. The verdict? Gall bladders don’t like fat-fest lunches, it turns out. Who would’ve guessed, right… :-/. So I guess you could say I am right in the middle of this learning experience. I’ll try to keep things a bit more bland from here on out. I’ll just have to eat smaller meals more often, I guess. Staying away from anything involving bacon might be a good idea, also – though it pains me deeply to do so, that’s for sure!
Looking back and looking ahead, I’m starting to realize how quickly the time will arrive when Russ is actually here. Talking to the nurse on the phone today after my mysterious gall bladder yuckiness, we were discussing how the size of the baby plays into their handling of late pregnancy. She told me that, being aware already of the fact that Russ seems to run 2 or even 3 weeks ahead of schedule on growth, she was sure the doctor’s would consider that fact as I reached full term and began the inevitably agonizing wait for labor pains to start. The general gist of the conversation was that if Russ’s size warranted it, the docs might allow an induction at 38 or 39 weeks. I’m not 100% sure how I feel about it, but I’ll talk with the doctors when the time arrives and we’ll just try to make the best decision we can. I don’t want to birth a 10-lb. baby vaginally, but I also don’t want to do anything that will dramatically increase my chances of needing a c-section. I guess the moral of the story for this post is that Russ is driving this runaway train. Me and my stretchy belly are just along for the crazy and wonderful ride.
Until next time, peace & love!